The “Fast Track” option does not suit all sailing ambitions. For a more relaxed learning scheme, SEA MASTER offers a ´modular´ approach in step up to the YACHTMASTER OFFSHORE examination. With the training provided by us, your own mileage achievements will be combined for the exam entry requirements.
The steps can be taken over any time period and anyone can be taken as an individual aim or combined to the level of competence you require.
1. COMPETENT CREW / DAY SKIPPER – 3 WEEKS
2. COASTAL SKIPPER – 3 WEEKS
3. CRUISING FOR YACHTMASTER OFFSHORE PASSAGES – 2 WEEKS
4. YACHTMASTER PREPARATION WEEK AND MCA EXAM
1. This is a 3-week step for those who wish to gain competence to DAY SKIPPER LEVEL
DAY 1-5 COMPETENT CREW PRACTICAL
DAY 6-7 VHF ON LINE COURSE AND ASSESSMENT
DAY 8-12 DAY SKIPPER THEORY
DAY 13-14 WEEKEND BREAK
DAY 15-19 DAY SKIPPER PRACTICAL
DAY 20 FREE DAY
2. For the more experienced sailor, a 3-week step giving you the opportunity to gain sailing experience for longer passages
DAY 1-5 CRUISING REFRESHER. GENERAL SAILING ON LONGER PASSAGES, NIGHT NAVIGATION
DAY 6-7 OPTIONAL VHF ON LINE COURSE AND ASSESSMENT IF LICENCE NOT HELD
DAY 8-12 COASTAL SKIPPER THEORY
DAY 13-14 WEEKEND BREAK / EXTRA THEORY TIME IF REQUIRED
DAY 15-19 COASTAL PRACTICAL COURSE
DAY 20-21 OPTIONAL YM COASTAL EXAM (MCA) IF DESIRED (notice required)
FOR THE STEP OPTIONS ABOVE, EXTRA CONSOLIDATION WEEKS ARE AVAILABLE
3. This 2-week step is for sailors keen to get to miles and over 60-mile passages for Yachtmaster Offshore. It will involve longer days, overnight passages and learning how to prepare and manage a yacht and crew for extended periods away from base. The tidal Canary Islands provide an excellent and varied situation with some stronger winds and sea experiences.Arriving Sunday –
DAY 1 YACHT PREPARATION
AM SAFETY BRIEF AND YACHT CHECKS (rigging, sails, engine, spares, paperwork & certificates, victuals)
PM BOAT HANDLING, MOB, REEFING, ANCHORING
EVE PASSAGE PLANNING AND WATCH BILL. CONSIDERATION OF WEATHER.
DAY 2-14 IS WEATHER DEPENDENT BUT A TYPICAL CRUISE WOULD BE –
DAY 2-3 PASSAGE TO NORTH TENERIFE (Marina Tenerife or Santa Cruz) OVERNIGHT. MINIMUM 124 NAUTICAL MILES.
DAY 4-5 TENERIFE TO LA PALMA. MINIMUM 90 NAUTICAL MILES. OVERNIGHT (Possible Taza Corte?)
DAY 6 PREP & PLANNING, (dinghy brief & practice for remote places. customs procedures etc. afternoon R and R)
DAY 7 LA PALMA TO EL HIERRO. MINIMUM 55 NAUTICAL MILES
DAY 8 EL HIERRO TO GOMERA. MINIMUM 50 NAUTICAL MILES
DAY 9 GOMERA TO SOUTH GRAN CANARIA. MINIMUM 75 NAUTICAL MILES. (may have to anchor and dinghy)
DAY 10 SOUTH GRAN CANARIA TO MORRE JABLE FUERTEVENTURA. MINIMUM 60 NAUTICAL MILES.
DAY 11 MORRE JABLE TO GRAN TARAJAL. 25 NAUTICAL MILES – easy day!
DAY 12 GRAN TARAJAL TO RUBICON. MINIMUM 50 NAUTICAL MILES.
DAY 13 CLEAN UP AND DEBRIEF
DAY 14 DEPART
5 X 60 nm passages
2 X overnight
ESTIMATED TOTAL MILEAGE 530 – 550 nm